Many video editing programs (Vegas Video, Adobe Premeire, Final Cut Pro, etc) offer basic music arrangement, and several DAW's (Digital Audio Workstation) have the ability to import video for basic editing (Logic, Ableton Live, Sibelius, etc). Until now, the only way to get quality sounds with a well-designed music-writing interface has been to own one of each of these program types and ReWire them together. ReWire is a protocol used to do two main tasks:
- Sync playback (start, stop, and posistion slider) between two programs
- Pipe audio from one program into another one
- Open VLC with the VeWire module installed - lightweight program in ReWire Master mode
- Open your favorite DAW - heavyweight program ReWire Slave mode
- Set up tempo transtions so downbeats align with key video points in you DAW
- Pressing Play on either the DAW or VLC will play both from the same point in the timeline
- Pressing Stop will also stop playback on both programs
- Scrubbing the position slider will scrub in both programs - always in sync!
- Write your score and export!
ReWire and the ReWire logo are property of Propellerhead Software